As It Comes involved conversations, photographs and sketches done with local people and traders who own or work in the shops and stalls listed below, to whom we are very grateful for their good humour and generosity. It was only possible to involve a small number of the many wonderful independent shops and local traders in Lancaster, many of whom can trace their heritage back several generations.
Marsh History Group, local history and reminiscence group, 01524 32354
In Lancaster Indoor Market, Market Hall, Common Garden Street, Lancaster LA1 1XD., Mon to Sat (ex. bank holidays), 9.00am – 5.00pm.
- The Bacon Stall, Pork and home cooked meats, top floor.
- Burgess Cheese, giant truckles of local cheese, eggs, jams, chutneys… top floor.
- Children’s & Babywear, downstairs
- M Green & Son Household Textiles, carpets, bedding, nightwear, downstairs
- D Gregory Butcher, fresh meat, lamb, savory pies, puddings, tripe, homemade sausages…, top floor
- R&P Shaw Fishmonger, fresh and smoked fish, curved walkway facing King St./ Common Garden St
- Hesters Habadashery, Wide range of haberdashery, wools, embroidery materials, buttons and findings, ground floor.
The Assembly Rooms Market, King Street, Lancaster, LA1 1JN, Tue – Fri 10am-16.30pm, Sat 10am – 17.30pm.
- Bebe Babette – vintage clothes, retro and costume hire from about 1920 to 1970
- First Age Comics -comics, back-issues, cool comic-related collectibles – on facebook and ebay
- Malcolm’s Place – packed with vintage and retro clothes and jewellery
- Wonders – fair-trade gifts and original clothing
- C E Barrow Ltd Tailor, long established traditional tailor, 10 New Street, Lancaster, LA1 1EG, 01524 32123
- Jennifer Pritchard Couchman, bespoke bridal, evening wear and made to measure clothes, blog and photos on flickr. By appointment only. 01524 849936 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dalton Square Florist, 19 Dalton Square, Lancaster LA1 1PL, 01524 849 000, email@example.com
- The Edge Gallery, contemporary gallery of art and crafts, blog and on facebook, 20 King Street, Lancaster, United Kingdom, LA1 1JY, 01524 66029, firstname.lastname@example.org Tues – Sat: 10:00 – 17:00
- Fabrix, dress and patchwork fabrics and haberdashery, 35 North Rd Lancaster, LA1 1NS 01524 33490, Mon – Sat 10 – 5pm
- Kings Carpets, carpet and flooring centre, 2a Moor Lane, Lancaster, LA1 1QD, Tel & Fax 01524-381157, email@example.com
- Lile Tool Shop & Garden Supplies, 43-45 N Rd, Lancaster, LA1 1NS, 01524 32886
- The Paper Gallery, 66 Market St, Lancaster LA1 1HP, 01524 36636, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mackies of Lancaster, interior design and decoration, Mackies of Lancaster, 20 Dalton Square, Lancaster, LA1 1PL, Tel & Fax 01524 33432, email@example.com
- Studio Arts, arts graphics and crafts materials shop, 50 North Road, Lancaster, England, LA1 1LT, 01524 68014, Fax 01524 68013, wearehear @studioarts.co.uk
lancaster4u.co.uk further information on local shops and market traders
virtual-lancaster.net run by local volunteers, with up to date local information